[Updated-I got an email from the person who sent the original email requesting that I remove their personal names and contact information from this first email. So I have done that and replace that information with X. ]
So I’ve been asked to be part of a marketing effort to promote Beliefnet on behalf of the commercial corporation News Corp which owns the site. Clearly there are NOT “many natural synergies between your content and ours” as Ms. X states, since I’m making this post. Do these marketing people even bother to read where they attempt to propagate themselves?
Why would I do this? WTF does “partnering” mean in this letter? That I put up a bunch of banners, links and shit. That’s not partnering. There’s just some kind of expectation that people will go along with this. Bloggers are deserting Beliefnet (ie Jundo Cohen has now moved to Shambhala Sunspace) and with all the ads so are readers. Having to get past half a dozen giant ads every time you open the site is not an experience most enjoy.
I do still read the OneCity blog there but that’s the only one. I don’t know if they have a contract to be there for some time or what the story is. I would urge them to find other quarters though, as all the ads look like spiritual pimping.
I don’t advertise here for anybody. Am I a Bad Buddhist for not pushing this corporate agenda? Probably.
My name is X, and I am a Marketing Manager at Beliefnet (http://www.beliefnet.com/). I recently visited your Blog Smiling Buddhist Cabaret at https://enlightenmentward.wordpress.com, and I really enjoyed it. I found many natural synergies between your content and ours, and I’d like to ask you to consider linking our online communities.
Beliefnet, now celebrating our 10 Year Anniversary, is the largest multi-faith spiritual and inspirational web site on the internet. Our mission is to help people find and walk a spiritual path that will bring comfort, hope, clarity, strength and happiness by providing inspiring features, access to the best spiritual teachers and clergy in the world, thought-provoking commentary and a supportive community.
In our link building efforts, we are reaching out to influential and niche blogger like you in hopes that your readers might enjoy our content. Below you’ll find links to areas of our site that I thought might be of particular interest to you. If so, would you care to link back to us?
1. Every week we feature new Buddhist-themed content, such as these current postings:
· 10 Ways to Increase Acts of Kindness
· Getting Started with Meditation
· Opening the Heart
2. Check out all of our blogs at http://www.beliefnet.com/Blogs/index.aspx or subscribe to the blog of your choice through its RSS feed
3. We also have RSS Feeds for the articles, galleries and videos that we publish. For example, here’s the feed for our Buddhist content: http://www.beliefnet.com/Feeds/Buddhist.aspx
4. Catch up on the latest Religion News at http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/
5. Subscribe to any of our newsletters at http://www.beliefnet.com/Newsletter/Signup.aspx
6. If you’d prefer to link to us with an image/banner, check out our Link to Us page which provides HTML code that you can easily copy and paste into your blog http://www.beliefnet.com/About-Us/Link-To-Us.aspx
Please let me know if the above provides you with the information you need to review and consider various sections for linking. If you have any questions or if there is anything I can do for you, please contact me at X or X . You can also contact our Search Engine Marketing and Social Media Manager, X at X. We are looking forward to partnering with you.
PS: If you’re on Twitter or Facebook, please follow us – see links below. We’ll be happy to follow you, too!
Here’s an interesting piece of advice from a writer in Advertising Age magazine: